Capitol Hill is a place “where kindness is intentional.”
On Saturdays we gather to celebrate the Sabbath through worship, study, and fellowship. A typical Sabbath at Capitol Hill starts with our 9:00am Morning Manna worship service, followed by study and discussion groups — Sabbath School – at 10:00am. Our second service begins at 11:00am and is followed by a fellowship meal. Afternoon activities at the church might include anything from community outreach, a special seminar, youth program, concert, to choir practice. These activities are held throughout the year, so please check our calendar to find out when the next one is happening.
Visiting a church can be like going on a blind-date–there’s great potential, but there are also lots of unknowns. We hope the information below will minimize the unknowns for your first visit to Capitol Hill. So, here’s what you need to know:
Parking and Directions
Our church is located in a residential neighborhood on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. There’s plenty of parking in the neighborhood–our members and guests are able to park each week–but it goes fast. So that we remain “good neighbors,” we ask that everyone obey all parking and traffic signs.
Special accommodations have been made to make Capitol Hill accessible and comfortable for those with mobility concerns or those needing wheelchair access. Please review our “Accessibility” page for more details.
Find A Place For Yourself and Your Children
On your first visit, it’s best to arrive about 15 minutes early, to familiarize yourself with the area and our facility. You’ll be greeted warmly by some friendly people from our H.E.L.L.O. Ministry Team, who are ready to answer your questions before, between, and after each service. If you arrive to attend a Sabbath School class, they can direct you to an Adult Sabbath School class. If you have children or teens, they will be glad to direct you to our children and Youth Sabbath School classes. If your child is shy, feel free to keep them with you in the adult classes.
The main level houses our worship sanctuary (where the Adult Sabbath School classes are held) with the deaconess room, elders room, as well as the restrooms, in the hallway behind the main sanctuary. The upper level is the balcony, our Young Adult Sabbath School class, and our choir loft. Just off of the choir loft is our Upper Prayer Room.
On the lower level, we have our a Family Room (for parents with infants), Fellowship Hall, Sabbath School classes for the children and youth, Deacons room, kitchen, and additional restrooms.
Worship With Us
Our Sabbath School and main Worship Service are held weekly on Saturdays. When you arrive, you will receive a bulletin outlining the service, along with a copy of our Welcome Brochure which tells you other information about Capitol Hill. We will find out how we may contact you and serve your needs, and will help you find a seat.
- Our early Morning Manna Service begins at 9:00am. This is a vibrant 1-hour service of testimony and prayer, inspiring music, and stirring preaching.
- Beginning at 10:00am, our Sabbath School classes for young adults and adults provide an opportunity for you to explore Bible lessons in small groups. It is a place where the toughest questions and subject matters are tackled… a place where current issues and timeless truths converge… a place where you can choose to join in or choose to remain anonymous (and be judged for neither)… a place where you will be challenged to reconsider all you think you know about life and about God.
- Also at 10:00am, our Children’s Sabbath School classes for toddlers, children, and pre-teens begin in the Lower Level Classrooms. Youth Sabbath School classes for earliteens and teens are held in the 10th Street Annex adjacent to the sanctuary.
- At 10:45am, just precluding the start of the Worship service, we inform the congregation of some general announcements, followed by a short period of meditation and reflection so that all can be prayerful and mindful of God’s glory and his manifest presence.
- Our second Worship Service begins at 11:00am. This service include a story time for children, Biblical teaching, prayer, giving, music, and regularly-scheduled Communion are key components of worship at Capitol Hill.
Each quarter, we hold our Communion Service. This service includes foot washing, to signify renewed cleansing of our hearts; and The Lord’s Supper, partaking of unleavened bread and unfermented grape juice, to express our faith in our Lord and Savior. This service begins at 10:15am.
On the 2nd Saturday of every month, we host our Youth service (AYS), in the afternoons at 3:00pm. Here, youth lead out in worship, creative programs, and engaging dialogue on the topics they face today. This time is meant to address matters of interest to the youth and also provide opportunity to build their worship planning and leadership skills.
During the week, our Prayer and Bible Study is held each Wednesday evening at 7:00pm. These services provide you with prayer, time for testimonies and thanksgiving, as well as Bible studies designed to provide relevant, practical answers to questions about God and the Christian life for all adults.
Enjoy a Meal with us!
Following our Sabbath Worship Service, our Hospitality Team hosts a sumptuous lunch for our guests and members in the Fellowship Hall on the Lower Level. We invite you to join us for lunch. We’d love to get to know you and your family better. One of our members will direct you the Fellowship Hall.
Let Us Help You
If you’re not in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area, check out some ways to participate online!
We’d be happy to answer any questions that you still might have. Please call us at the church at (202) 543-1344 or contact us online.