“I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of his people and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been the benefactor of many people, including me.” (Romans 16:1-2)
The Deaconess Ministry cares for the people of the congregation so as to enable the pastor to feed the flock faithfully, and to be able to spend the necessary time in prayer for God’s direction and inspiration in leading the church. Deaconess exists to: serve the needs of the congregation, to be representations and examples of Godly women, and to extend our care and compassion for Christ’s body from beyond the four walls of the church and into the streets of our community where we can care for others, as if we were ministering to Christ’s broken and bruised body himself.
The Deaconess Ministry serve in these capacities in our church:
- In the collection of offerings both for the church and for the children’s ministries
- In cleaning and setting up the pulpit before Sabbath School, and on Wednesday evenings
- In the care of the pastor and any guest speakers we may have by providing water and any general assistance that they may need of us.
- Assisting in church baptisms both in the preparation of materials used, and in assisting the candidates.
- In baking and preparing the bread used for the communion, and setting up the table and all elements used for the communion service.
- Facilitating the foot-washing service.
- Visiting and comforting the bereaved family, and offering assistance in the form of meals, etc, and assisting in the repast.
For more information, contact Barbara Steward, Head Deaconess, at (202) 543-1344